31.3.11

Idly Upma

Ive posted before how my family hates leftovers. Anything taken from the fridge is a big NO-NO!!! But somehow I don't feel like throwing it away. I keep it just in case there was something useful I could do with them- like liven it up by making something tasty and different. So this Idly Upma is a magic dish from left over Idlys- well, this isnt my magic. This is a regular dish in most of the Tamil households and I first had it during a train journey. One Tamil Brahmin friend was travelling with me. So she had told me earlier that she will bring chappati for dinner but finally she decided against it and brought Idly Upma....so yummy!!! By the way, Ive written about her in my Green Peas recipe page.

Chopped Idlys : 15 (get the recipe for Idly here)
Onion: 1 big diced
Ginger: 1/2 inch chopped fine
Green Chilly: 2 slit
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp (optional)
Chilly Powder: 1/2 tsp (optional)
Salt: as required
Ghee: 1 tbsp
Mustard: 1 tsp

Melt the ghee in a kadai and splutter mustard.
Throw in the onions, ginger and green chillies and saute till onions are wilted.
Now add the chilly powder and turmeric powder (if you are using...it tastes just as great even without these ingredients)
Add the chopped Idly and mix everything properly.
At this stage, if you want you can add a little more ghee for extra taste.
Do a taste test and add salt if necessary.
Switch off the stove and serve warm.



12 comments:

  1. I heard about this dish before but never made it... Coz Idli is always a hit here... fresh or from the fridge!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. delicious upma dear,i too make sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy!! Love spicy idly upma..

    valar
    http://valarskitchen-basics.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious idli upma an awesome way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good way to use the left over idlies.looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy idli upma! I too prepare it in the same way..Have it in my drafts!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's my favourite breakfast! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good One I Love This Blog I Daily Visit Your Blog And Thumps Up To Your Blog
    Keep Posting More Usefull To Blog Readers

    Check My Blogs
    Add Url | Best Affiliate Programs | Tamil Web Library | Health And Beauty | Zyanga AddMe

    ReplyDelete