30.3.11

Cabbage and Carrot Thoran

This is a very tasty veg dish from India's spice garden- Kerala. This is a regular dish served atleast once in 3 days in any kerala household. This is a must have dish for Onam- Thoran!!!
By the way, just a reminder...any Kerala dish in incomplete without curry leaves...and if you are a regular reader of my blog, you will notice that I don't include curry leaves in my ingredients.... well, thats because we don't get curry leaves here in Egypt.... SAD...I KNOW.... so if you are trying out any of the kerala dishes from my blog, pls add curry leaves.... add a lot of it!!!! wink!!! so heres my curry leaf- less authentic kerala recipe...LOL!!!...o by the way, just in case you wanted to know...we don't get mustard also here...but Ive brought enough stock from India to last me a year...


Fresh Coconut grated: 3/4 cup
Mustard: 1 tsp
Cumin: 1/2 tsp

To Mix before cooking:
Cabbage Shredded: 3 cups
Carrot Grated: 1 cup
Onion: 1 small diced
Green Chillies: 3 slit
Ginger: 1/2 inch chopped fine
Garlic: 2 tsp juliennes
Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
Salt: as needed

Mix all the ingredients in the "to mix before cooking"with your hands and keep aside.
Heat oil in a kadai and splutter mustard and cumin.
Now add the Cabbage Carrot mix and let it cook on low flame.
Sprinkle water if needed (I don't)
When it is almost done (should take about 6-8 mts) add the grated coconut.
Mix everything properly and switch off the stove when properly cooked.
Serve with plain rice.


9 comments:

  1. I usually add some beans too.... Is it possible to get Curry Leaf seed online. In US it is available sometimes...but I still dont know how effective it is..

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite lunch box recipe.. has come out very well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks super irresistible and tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is yummy...We have to adjust a lot with wat we get..;(..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious, an easy to make recipe...

    I am here for first time, happy following you..

    valar
    http://valarskitchen-basics.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this combo and i make it once in a while. Love it with rice, yoghurt and puli chammanthi. We do get curry leaves here in the Indian stores and I cant imagine making nadan dishes without them. Its sad that you dont have access to them :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Homey- healthy n delicious- great combo with rice n dal :)

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete