27.1.11

Cabbage and Peas Rice

Kids don't eat vegetables most of the time..atleast my kids don't. But vegetables are so important for their nutrition and this is one way I make sure they have their daily dose of nutrition from vegetable... vegetable rice. Also, my husband will take his lunch box only if it is variety rice... He hates it if I give plain rice with side dishes- too much trouble to mix everything!!! So here's a lunch box speciality from my kitchen.... and believe me, it is really tasty!!!

Cooked Basmati Rice: 2 cups
Cabbage Shredded: 1.5 cups
Green Peas: 3/4 cup
Oil: 2 tbsp
Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
Onion: 1 diced
Green chillies: 2 slit
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
Salt: as needed

To Grind to a very smooth paste:
Coriander Leaves: 3/4 cup
Coconut grated: 1/4 cup
Ginger: 1 inch
Cloves:2
Cinnamon: 1 inch


In a kadai, heat oil and splutter cumin seeds.
Throw in the onions, greenchillies and saute for 2 minutes.
Now add the ground paste and saute for a minute on low flame
Add the cabbage and peas and let it cook on low flame. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
Do a taste test and adjust the salt.
Now add the rice and mix properly and switch off the stove.
Goes well with raitha - I pack cutlets or chicken fry with this.



1 comment:

  1. I know you are in Egypt...I don't know any other way to communicate with you... Is everything ok there? Are you guys safe?

    ReplyDelete