21.1.11

Mathanga Erissery (Pumpkin Curry)

Whenever I make Erissery, so many faces flash through my mind. One face is of my eldest co-sister...she often makes pumpkin curry and it is yummy!!!
The 2nd face is of my 3rd co-sister... its a funny incident which happened a few years back at my mom-in-law's place. Mom usually stew mangoes and pinapples in sugar syrup. So this incident happened during a summer vacation and mom's store room was like a mango store!!! One day me and my 3rd co-sister were just back from a shopping trip and we got into the dining room and ah!!! beautiful yellow mangoes in a syrup...hmmmm... my sis took one and put it in her mouth and her expression...priceless!!! It was pumpkin...
The 3rd face is of my one time neighbour, Archana.. she wanted to have mathanga erissery and was going on asking me the recipe.. I had no clue that mathanga curry was called mathanga erissery... I told her I have not even heard of this dish!!!! later she made and gave me too and I said "this is mathanga curry"!!!!
The 4th face is that of Esther, my right hand during my initial days of being a 2nd time mom.. she used to make dal curry just like Erisserry... it was sooooooo tasty!!!  And after coming to Cairo, this is the first time Im making Erissery and I really enjoyed my dinner last night.


Pumpkin cubed: 2 cups
Green Chillies: 2 split
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
Salt: as required

To grind
Coconut grated: 1/2 cup
Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
Garlic: 2 small cloves

To temper:
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
Dried red chillies: 2
Curry leaves: 1 sprig
Coconut grated: 1 tbsp

Boil the pumpkin with green chillies, turmeric and salt till soft.
Mash the pumpkin with a fork.
Now add the ground paste and let it cook on a low flame for a few minutes.
Switch off the stove.
In a kadai, heat oil, splutter mustard, dried chillies, curry leaves and pour it over the pumpkin curry.
In the same kadai, fry the grated coconut on low heat till brown. (dessicated coconut works best for this step)
Pour the browned coconut over the curry and serve with rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment