13.1.11

Meat Rolls (Kerala bakery style)

As a child, whenever I used to go to Mallapally town bakery with my parents, my eyes will go to the meat roll tray. I just used to love it,.....still do. Once I asked my mom if she knows how its made and she said "its very easy...its just beef cutlet mix inside bread and deep fried. Once I came to Chennai, I used to miss it as only spring rolls were available in the bakeries there. So from then on, I started making this at home and my son will forego dinner if I make this. He even takes this as his school lunch!!!!





Bread slices: 12
Beaten eggs: 2
Bread crumbs: 2 cups

For the filling:
Beef cooked and minced: 2 cups
ginger garlic paste: 1 tbsp
Onion: 1 diced
Tomato: 1 chopped
Green chillies: 2 chopped
Pepper: 1 tsp
Cumin seed: 1 tsp
Coriander Powder: 3 level tsp
Garam masla: 2 level tsp
Salt and Oil: as required

Heat oil, splutter cumin seeds.
Add onions, finger garlic paste, green chillies and saute till onions turn brown.
Add the masalas and saute for a minute and then add the minced beef and mix properly.
Now add the tomatoes and cook till limp
Turn off fire.


Remove the crusts from bread and roll it with a rolling pin sprinkling water on it.
Place a tablespoon of the filling and roll the bread tight.
Dip it in the beaten egg and roll it in bread crumbs.
Repeat the procedure for the remaining bread slices.
Freeze it for atleast half an hour.
Now heat oil and deep fry the rolls.
Serve it as a teatime snack. Goes well with Tomato sauce.


3 comments:

  1. So would you say this recipe taste just like the meat rolls in kerala? I've tried a recipe that used chapathi dough as the roll and it didn't taste the same to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, it tastes just like the meat rolls we get in central travancore. the filling is totally upto u, u can either use this recipe or any of ur favourite kheema recipe. and also for the outer covering, u can flatten the bread in ur palm also by sprinkling water, if u r not using the rolling pin...and then dip in beaten egg and breadcrumbs and fry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I could have sworn I've visited this website before but after looking at a few of the articles I realized it's new to me.
    Anyways, I'm definitely delighted I stumbled upon it and I'll be bookmarking
    it and checking back frequently!
    Check out my web-site : healthy weight loss diets, diet solutions, weight loss tip, laxatives to lose weight

    ReplyDelete