10.1.11

Lime Rice/ Lemon rice and Prawns stir fry


Whenever I make Lime rice, I remember my nephew, Akshay. When I was newly married, he was in std 1. Those days, he would only take lime rice for lunch...day after day...365 days!!!!
I used to hate lime rice when I was in college.... the reason was in Bangalore hostel, they used to serve it for breakfast...and it was called Chitrana..... and I just couldnt imagine eating rice for breakfast and so I never ever bothered to taste it. But after marriage, seeing Akshya's enthusiasm in taking lime rice to school everyday, I thought i will give it a try and wow... it was not at all like how I imagined it to be. So this is lime rice the way Akshay's mom, my dear sophy makes it!!!
















Long grain rice cooked: 1 cup                            
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard: 1 tsp
Urad dal: 1/4 tsp
Chana dal: 1/4 tsp
peanuts: a handful      
Dried red chilly:1
Curry leaves: 1 sprig
Shallots: 3 sliced
Garlic: 2 sliced
Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida: 1/8 tsp
Salt: as required
Lime juice: half lime     

Heat oil, splutter mustard, dried red chilly, urud dal, chana dal, peanuts, curry leaves.
Throw in the shallots and garlic and saute for a minute.
Now add the turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt and take off fire.
Mix in the rice and lime juice till the rice is properly coated


    
Lime rice a very easy option for packing lunch. I usually make prawns stir fry to go along with the lime rice. this is how I make the prawns.



















Prawns: 1/2 kg
Shallots: 5 thinly sliced
Garlic: 10 thinly sliced
Ginger: 1 inch thinly sliced
Pepper powder; 1 tbsp
Chilly Powder: 11/4 tbsp
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
Coriander Powder: 1 tbsp
Salt: 2 tsp
Oil: 2tbsp

Make a paste of all the masalas.
Devein the prawns and marinate it with the masala paste.
Heat oil and saute the shallots, ginger and garlic till slightly brown.
Now add the marinated prawns and saute for a minute.
Add 1 tbsp water and close the pan with a lid (Make sure the flame is low)
The prawns will get cooked in its own water.
When the water dries up, take off lid and fry properly in the oil that remains.
Now your prawns is ready to be packed!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Sojo for your comments...I am also first time in your blog....That Mysore Pak looks quiet tempting...along with most of the other ones!!!

    ReplyDelete