20.1.11

Orappam

I first read about this in Sarah's blog and that too in 2007.
From then I've been wanting to make this but never did it till today!!! When I read the ingredients, I could taste it.... and I guess it was a DejaVu. I actually could see my ammachy making it... (but later came to know from my mom that ammachy never made it!!!)
I guess it is the ingredients that gave me the feeling... nutmeg and caraway seeds was an integral part of ammachy's baking... If she bakes a cake, these 2 ingredients will make a way into the recipe...
Well, then later I asked 2 of my cousins and they also told me they've never heard about it..my mother-in-law also said the same thing...  and then I called up my mom and she told me that it is usually made in Catholic homes for Christmas and Easter.. and she's read it in Vanitha a looooong time ago and said she vaguely remembers the recipe but still not very sure... So what do I do, I searched the World Wide Web.. and what do I see? just 3 or 4 posts.. and one was Mishmash.. but only the picture was there as she got the recipe from Sarah..so has  given a backlink to Sarah's recipe... then I saw another site which was almost like Sarah's... then another 2 sites where they've copied Sarah's recipe just like that and pasted.. wink!!!!
So, I thought I will follow Sarah's recipe... Did exactly like she's described except that I didnt use brown sugar.. I used one cup of plain sugar and 1 cup of molasses syrup (instead of 2 cups brown sugar) the rest of the recipe, I blindly followed and the end result.... WOW!!! too good... Like Shn has described..."a taste of childhood, yet vague" Shn, I guess made it with sugar that's why her Orappam is white.. and mine's brown coz of the molasses.
Iam sure I will be making this often, so maybe next time I will make with white sugar though the original recipe (according to Sarah) says molasses syrup.



The recipe is here

I've copied it to here. ....Thanks Sarah....

Ingredients
2 cups of rice flour
2 cups of brown sugar
2 eggs
I can of coconut milk(400ml)
2 tbls spn ghee
2 tbl spn coconut oil
1/2 t spn cake Jeera/caraway seeds
1/2 t spn cardomom powder
1/4 tspn nutmeg powder
10 cashews broken in to pieces

Take 6oz of of coconut milk and add 2 oz of water to it and boil it along with the broken cashews for 10 minutes.

Beat the egg and add the rest of the coconut milk, brown sugar, rice flour, spices and the ghee. Mix well. Add the boiled coconut milk along with the cashews.

In a thick bottom pan, heat the above mix on medium heat, stirring often. It will get lumpy as you cook and that is ok. Once the mix forms a thick lump( ie, there is no more liquid) put in to a 7 inch buttered cake pan. Level the top with a spoon.

Pour the coconut oil on top.

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F( 170 C). bake it for about 20 minutes till the top is golden brown
Take it out of the oven and cool for 10 mints. Cut it in to slices and serve



No comments:

Post a Comment