13.1.11

Tamarind Rice

I first had this in Bangalore when from college, we went for a field trip. My friend Udhaya made it for the whole group. But I never bothered to find out the recipe coz i hated getting into kitchen those days!! After I got married, I learnt to make this at my mom-in-laws kitchen.

Cooked Rice: 2 cups
Tamarind: half a lemon sized
Roasted peanut: 1 tbsp
Fenugreek powder: 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida: 1/4 tsp
Mustard: 1/4 tsp
Dry red chillies: 2
Curry leaves: 1 sprig
Chana dal: 1/4 tsp
Urud dal: 1/4 tsp

Soak the tamarind in a cup of warm water.
Heat oil in a kadai and splutter mustard, urud dal, chana dal, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
Add the fenugreek powder, asafoetida, peanuts and the tamarind extract.
When it becomes like a thick pulp, mix it in rice.
Serve hot or at room temperature with your favourite non veg dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment