17.1.11

NanKhatai

I have a big collection of recipe books back home... What Ive written down from my mom, mom-in-law, sisters-in law, friends...then papers torn from magazines.... then Pachakam from Vanitha publications... Then my favourite baking companion... Mrs B.F.Varghese's recipe books... so many.... but I was not able to bring all those books here...
(which is exactly why I started blogging again....after a 3 years gap.... just to keep all my recipes safe... for myself and my kids... that's the only reason Iam blogging... actually cooking is not a passion for me...and I hate photography from college days... I had a paper for Masters... I guess I scored the least for photography!!!)
Okay back to my recipe books.... well, I did bring 4 recipe books... one of which is my Mom's old"The All Electric Cook Book" printed in 1972. I wanted to bake a bread and so I took this book and as I was flipping through the pages, a white folded paper fell down... When I unfolded it,I got two recipes in my mom's handwriting..one was Doughnut recipe and the other Nankhatai... so here comes the Nankhatai recipe... The recipe says Dalda... but I used butter.

Maida: 2 cups
Butter: 1 cup
Powdered sugar: 1 cup +1/4 cup


Mix the butter and 1 cup powdered sugar properly.
Add the flour little by little and make a smooth dough.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven 180C for 10 minutes and grease a cookie tray.
Make small balls from the dough and arrange it on the cookie tray about an inch apart.
Bake for 15-20 minutes and let it cool (it will not be firm when you take it out but will get crisp as it cools)
Coat the cooled cookies with the rest of the powdered sugar.
Serve it as a tea time snack.



No comments:

Post a Comment