21.12.10

Easy Prawns Biriyani

When I was newly married, I was not fond of cooking biriyani coz I always felt it was tedious and was scared I will mess it up. But my husband loves Biriyani and used to tell me "atleast make a kalipeeru biriyani" and I used to wonder what a kalipeeru Biriyani was. Then I heard the same term used by my sisters-in-law. So I asked my husband and he said  "Mom makes it, learn from her". Now I have to tell you all, Mom is an excellent cook and she makes all kinds of biriyani .. from dum biriyani to malabar type (mixing) biriyani to even kalipperu biriyani. She usually makes the kalipeeru biriyani with minced beef. Ive used her method to make prawns biriyani ... changed the recipe a bit coz it is prawns- has to be marinated and also I used lemon and cut down on the tomatoes.

Basmati Rice: 2 cups
Prawns: 1/2 kg
Onion: 1 big sliced
Ginger Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
Tomato: 1 medium sliced
Green chillies: 2 slit
Lemon juice: 0f 1 lemon
Cinnamon: 1
Cloves:3
Cardamom:1
Star Anise:1
Coriander leaves: a bunch
Ghee- 2 tbsp
Oil-2 tbsp

To Marinate the prawns:
Chilly powder: 1.5 tsp
Coriander Powder: 1 tbsp
Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
Salt:as required
Lemon juice of one lemon

Wash and devein the prawns. Marinate with the To marinate ingredients and keep aside for half an hour.
Wash the rice properly and soak it in water for 20 minutes.
Take a pressure cooker and heat the ghee and oil, Add the whole garam masala (cinnamon, cardamom, star anise and cloves)
After a minute, add the onions, ginger garlic and green chillies and saute till the onions are browned.
Now add the marinated prawns and cook on a low flame.
When the prawns are half cooked, add the tomato and saute till oil separates.
Add required salt and the chopped coriander leaves.
Now add the rice along with 3 cups of water and place the lid.
When the steam starts coming out steadily, place the weight and wait for 30 seconds.
Turn off the stove and let it remain like that for 20 minutes.
Open the lid and serve hot with raitha.



No comments:

Post a Comment