19.4.11

Puli Inji

This one is almost like the Inji curry recipe Ive posted earlier. Here. Ive used molasses syrup instead of sugar. This is a must have in the Kerala Sadya menu (Well, Inji curry is usually served in our corner of the state. ie south.. and in North Kerala, it is Puli Inji that is served for Sadya). If you ask me which one I prefer...well, I love both and will be very very happy if both are served.. ;)

Ginger:250 gm chopped fine
Green chillies: 5 chopped fine
Tamarind: a lil bigger than lime sized soaked in a bowl of water
Kashmiri Redy Chilly powder: 3 tbsp
Fenugreek powder: 1/4 tsp
Molasses Syrup: 3 tbs
Salt: as required
Oil: 1/5 cup
Mustard: 1 tsp
Dried red chily

In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the oil and splutter the mustard and dried red chilly.
Add the green chillies and ginger and fry till ginger turns brown.
Now add the tamarind water, salt, molasses syrup, chilly powder and let it boil.
When the gravy becomes thick, add the fenugreek powder and simmer for a minute.
 Serve with rice. It tastes even better the next day and the days after...

16 comments:

  1. I really don't know the difference between inji curry or puli inji. All I know is I adore the combination of ginger with tamarind and sugar/jaggery. Ethra thinnalum mathiyavilla..yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't know the difference between inji curry or puli inji. All I know is I adore the combination of ginger with tamarind and sugar/jaggery. Ethra thinnalum mathiyavilla..yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow sojo...that looks fantastic...totally different...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ginger- tamarind - spicy- I am all in- droolworthy recipe :))
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slurp, mouthwatering here..simply irresistible puli inji..

    ReplyDelete
  6. new to me !! Looks so wonderful and delicious !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Puli Inji... But mine is a bit different..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tangy and mouth watering combination. Looks yum

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mouthwatering dish. Perfect with curd rice

    ReplyDelete
  10. delicious..great recipes..following you

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love them both..Kandittu kothi varunnu..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw this on another blog as well today and was already drooling - now it's a double drool :) Super Sojo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh love this ....this looks like a perfect recipe ...yummo!!!

    ReplyDelete