22.3.12

Eggless vanilla cake (butterless too)


This is one of the simplest cake Ive ever made which tasted excellent too, considering the fact it neither used egg nor butter. I call it simple coz I didnt even have to take out my stand mixer, I did the whole mixing with a spoon!!!!! 

Iam not kidding when I say its not even half an hour since I baked the cake and my kids have already finished half the cake (and they didn't even realize theres no egg in the cake!!!.. yes its a victory coz they are die-hard egg fans)

I first saw this recipe at my mom-in-law's place while I was going through her recipe collection. One book which caught my attention was Nita Mehta's cook book which did have a lot of eggless cake recipes and microwave cake recipes and 4 minute cake recipes. My Mom in law usually follows the English recipes for cakes, especially the Pound cake but I guess after buying Nita Mehta's books, she started baking these simple cakes once in a while (but for Christmas and Easter, it is always the English recipes!!!!)
Well, I read and did forget about it till I saw a lot of Blogger friends making this and posting the recipe. So I thought, Well, I too shall try and well, I wasnt at all disappointed. It was SUPERB (no eggs, no butter..moist and delicious!!!!)


All Purpose Flour: 1 1/2 cups
Sugar: 1 cup (You can either powder it or use the granulated one, I was too lazy to powder it this time, it worked fine)
Baking Powder: 1 1/2 tsp
Thick Curd: 1 cup
Vegetable Oil: 1/2 cup
Vanilla Essence: 1 tsp
Milk: 1 tbsp

Preheat your oven to 200C
Grease and flour a loaf pan.
In a bowl, mix the sugar and curd till sugar is completely dissolved
Sieve the maida with the baking powder twice.
Now to the curd sugar mix, add the vanilla essence and oil and mix it properly.
To this add the maida and fold in gently.
Transfer the batter in to the prepared pan.
Bake at 200C for 10 minutes
Then reduce the temperature to 180C
After 25-30 minutes, take the pan out and with the help of a pastry brush, apply milk on top.
(this is done for the browned and glazed top)
Bake till done. It took another 10 minutes in my oven. Oven temperatures vary so keep an eye.
Let it cool for 15 minutes.
Turn it over on a plate and once fully cooled, slice it and enjoy!!!

The original recipe used 1 1/4 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp baking soda which was mixed into the curd mix and left for a few minutes to form bubbles. I omitted the step and used 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and it worked fine too.



12 comments:

  1. Despite not having butter the texture looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cake looks perfect and so soft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks super soft and perfect.. thanks for sharing dear !!
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  4. A perfect cake....delicious

    foodydelight.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so soft and superb..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Without butter looks so soft and yummy. Will try soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. sojo, I tried this, its definitely a winner considering the fact that it does not use butter and egg. It was supermoist and did not taste like it lacked the principal ingredients. I added a generous amount of raisins and nuts at the base to boost the texture as I was baking it for my inlaws and they love nuts and raisins. I did not add them to the batter as I was not sure how it would turn out but next time will definitely add more into the batter. Aso I added a tsp of nutmeg and nonfat yoghurt for the thick curd. All the changes made to suit my inlaws taste palate. Anyways thanks for sharing this recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the recipe....I tried it and it was super moist and I have posted it in my blog...nd u hv got a wonderful blog here......
    Thanks again....

    ReplyDelete