23.6.11

Kaliyadakka / Cheeda /Uppu Seedai




I cant even remember one Onam without these highly addictive crunchy snacks.There are two versions- a sprial sweet cheeda and the salty Kaliyadakka - well, Iam no guru in Kerala Snack names but this is how I remember- the sweet version was usually called cheeda (both rice flour and maida versions are there) and the salty version Kaliyadakka. To be frank, I wasnt very fond of this till I made Chennai my home. In Tamil Nadu, it is called Uppu seedai and the ones at Grand Sweets in Chennai are the BEST tasting Uppu Seedai on EARTH!!!!! So if you've not had it yet, this recipe comes very close!!!! So over to the recipe:

Rice flour: 1 cup
Urad Dal Flour: 3 level tbsp
Coconut Grated: 3 level tbsp
Butter: 2 tbsp
Sesame Seeds: 1 level tbsp
Cumin/Jeera: 1/2 tsp
Salt: as required
Asafoetida: 1/2 tsp

Water: to make the dough
Oil: for deep frying


Take all the ingredients in a bowl, rub the butter in.
Add water and make a stiff dough
Make small smooth balls (the size of a marble) with your palm and arrange it in a tray.

Once you are done with rolling, heat the oil.
Drop a few balls carefully into the oil and lower the flame to medium.
Deep fry till golden yellow to brown colour
Drain on an absorbent paper.
Once cooled, store it in airtight containers.
Believe me, it wont last long.

Notes: 
1. I make it with both roasted and plain rice flour, the ones made with the roasted flour usually will be a darker shade and those with the plain flour is lighter in shade. Also, I personally feel it is easier to make the balls with the dough made out of plain rice flour
2. Roll the dough with the help of both your palms to get a smooth ball
3. Dont fry it as soon as you roll it coz it wont be crunchy. So make balls out of the whole dough and then start frying in batches.



13 comments:

  1. Feel like munching those wonderful and addictive crispy beauties..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crispy looking Cheedais...we make it for Krishna Jayanthi

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow my fav kaliyadakka. my mom always mak this at home but i never tried this after cmng to bahrain.urs lkng yummy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks absolutely perfect snack and delicious.. awesome clicks !!..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice snack and looks so YUM !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We make Kaliyadakka in a completely different way... But I think I should give this a try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowwww... Classic and delicious recipe.. looks simply perfect.. First time here.. gr8 blog.. Thanks for the recipes dear
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of this snack until now - too bad! This vacation when I go home, I'm sure gonna search for this treat. Sounds too good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been surfing on-line greater than three hours these days,
    but I by no means found any fascinating article like yours.

    It's pretty price sufficient for me. In my view, if all web owners and bloggers made just right content material as you did, the web might be a lot more useful than ever before.
    Feel free to visit my blog ... diets that work

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing, I will bookmark and be back again














    Cake Shop Chennai

    ReplyDelete