7.4.11

Payar ularthu (Green gram saute)


All my recent posts were though delicous, was calorie laden and not-so healthy... so here comes a highly nutritious and healthy post.


Green gram is one of the most nutritious pulses. Before coming to Cairo, I knew we wouldnt get most of the Indian grocery here. So I came well prepared with my stock of Urud dal, Toor Dal, Idly Rice, Raw rice, mustard, masalas etc etc etc...well the list is long... and I still dont have any clue how I could forget my favourite cherupayar aka green gram. I cant imagine having Kanji without it!! Well the next visit to India, green gram was the first thing I put in my cart at Chennai Nilgiris along with Kerala Matta rice.
My mom makes cherupayar with coconut to go with Kanji while my mom in law always makes this ularthu with Kanji. So here comes her Ularthu recipe.

Green gram: 1 cup
Water: 3 cups
Onion: 1 small diced
Garlic: 3 cloves crushed
Red Chilly Powder: 1 tsp (adjust to your tolerance level)
Turmeric: 1/4 tsp
Salt: as required
Oil: 1 tbsp
Curry leaves: a sprig


Pressure cook the green gram till done.
In a non stick pan, heat oil and throw in the onions and garlic and saute till onions are wilted.
Now add the curry leaves, chilly powder and turmeric powder and saute.
Add the cooked green gram and salt and mix everything properly.
Turn off the stove and serve hot with hot and delicious Kanji

11 comments:

  1. Wow this is almost I want to say looking like Sundal - What a great accompaniment with rice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. green gramm...wow..absolutely my favorite...loved your recipe dear !

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow very healthy and delicious !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hub's fav..Looks simple n delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! It's power-packed with nutrients!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A protein packed n delicious recipe- loved that platter :)

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it with kanji but I make it a bit different... Urs looks yum...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy cherrupayar ularthu..Perfect with rice!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. cherupayar with kanji..........hmmmmmmm great combo.............

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow.. nutritional and healthy recipe....

    ReplyDelete