6.4.11

Peas and carrot with Paneer curry.

When I was newly married, cooking a veg dish was a big tension. I just couldnt handle the pressure of coming up with a tasty vegetarian curry. So, to make it easier for me, my hubby bought a vegetarian cook book for me (I seriously dont remember the name of the book- all I remember was the author was a North Indian and there were a lot of very good recipes...and I still dont know who took that book from me ...anyways!!!) . So most of my veg recipes (other than traditional Kerala and Tamil Nadu ones) are an improvisation of that. So this one is also a recipe I learnt from that book, but ofcourse, Ive tweaked the recipe a lot over the years like adding kitchen king masala, blanching only onions, adding tomato paste instead of puree (well, there is some difference!!!)
Paneer: 250 gms
Peas: 3/4 cup
Carrot: 1/2 cup diced
Cinnamon: 1 inch piece
Cloves: 3
Onion: 2 medium
Ginger Garlic Paste: 2 tsp
Tomato Paste: 1 heaped tbsp
Kasuri methi: 2 tsp
Yoghurt: 100 gm cup
Coriander Powder: 1 heaped tsp
Chilly powder: 3/4 tsp
Garam Masala: 1 tsp
Cumin Powder: 1/4 tsp
Kitchen King Masala: 1 heaped tsp

Cut the onions into 2 and boil it with half a cup of water.
Allow to cool and make a paste.
Heat oil in a kadai and throw in the cinnamon, cloves and saute the onion paste.
When it is slightly brown, add the ginger garlic paste and saute till onions turn golden brown.
Add the coriander powder, Kitchen King masala, chilly powder and cumin powder.
Saute for a minute on low flame and add the tomato paste.
Saute for 2 minutes and then add the yoghurt, peas and carrot.
Sprinkle some water and let it get cooked on low flame.
Add required salt, Kasoori methi and cubed paneer.
Let everything get mixed for 2 minutes on low flame.
Turn off the stove and serve with Rotis or poori.

10 comments: