16.12.10

Egg Biriyani

Whenever I make Biriyani, I remember Gracy. She was my helper for the last 3 months I was bedridden back in 2005. She used to make delicious biriyani on Sundays. She will tell me "Madam, Ennakku Konjama samayal seyya theriyaathe.. naan narraye seyya porae" and go on to make Biriyani with 1 kg Basmati rice (NO, Iam not kidding). And that is the day she goes home and returns early the next day. So when she is about to leave, I will ask her to have her food and go and she will say :No, its too early, I will take my share and go.... After she leaves, Kochu will bring the biriyani to my bed and we will have it together. It would be just enough for the 2 of us and if one of us want to have a 2nd helping, no way...and nothing left for dinner also!!!! So the first time I thought she would have accidentally taken our share and went (remember she makes biriyani with 1 kg rice... with 1 kg rice u can feed 12 people). But the same thing happened next week also. So on the 3rd weekend, I told her, see Gracy, since Iam bedridden and cant cook the dinner and also since doctor advised me not to have outside food, please leave a little more food for us. She said 'okay ma' but again same old story!!!! So finally I gave up. The episode continued every Sunday till she left.

Basmati Rice: 2 cups
Boiled Eggs: 4
Onions: 2 medium
Tomatoes: 2 small
Green chillies: 3
Ginger garlic paste: 1 tbsp
Chilly Powder: 1 tsp
Garam Masala-1tsp
Turmeric: 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder: 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder: 2 tsp
Curd: 2 tbsp
Cardamom-1
Cinnamon-2 sticks
Cloves-3
Fennel seeds: 1/2 tsp
Ghee and salt: as required.
Cashewnuts and raisins- 2 spoons each.
Coriander leaves- a handful.

Cook the rice in 6 cups water. Drain and keep aside.
Fry the cashewnut and raisins in ghee and keep aside.
In a kadai, heat ghee and splutter the whole garam masala.(cardamom, fennel seeds, cloves and cinnamon)
Saute the sliced onions and when translucent, add the ginger garlic paste.
When the onions turn brown, add the chopped tomatoes and saute till limp
Sprinkle water and add the chilly powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Saute well.
Now add the slit greenchillies and the coriander leaves along with the curd. Mix it properly on low flame.
Now add the boiled eggs, cashew nuts and raisins and mix in the masala.
Take off from fire and mix the masala in the rice properly.
This is a very tasty egg biriyani preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment