4.12.10

Sev

I grew up seeing my grandmother preparing all kinds of snacks at home.. from plantain chips to mixture to mysore pak to chakka halwa to whatever you can think of. After that it is my mother. You just tell her and she will make it and  she has the best of people with her to help her out. From avilosunda to kuzhalappam to mixture to ...again whatever you can think of... But personally I never found the need to make anything at home coz everything is readily available in the market. My mother in law also makes a lot of stuff at home. once when she was making murukku during christmas time I thought why she was going through this trouble when she can easily buy the best murukku in Chennai...  I guess she read my thoughts coz as i was thinking she said... "there was a time when nothing was available at shops.. if kids wanted a snack, it has to be prepared at home and it became a way of life... making everything at home". And i thought I was lucky to be a part of this generation coz I dont have to prepare anything.. just have to go to the nearest bakery!!! well that was just till I reached Cairo. Here if you feel like munching on an Indian crisp, you have to make it yourself just like old times in India!!!! Today menu at home is Sev.

Bengal Gram Flour: 4cups
Asafoetida: 1 tsp
Turmeric: 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder: 2 tsp
Pepper Powder: 1tsp
Salt:as required
Oil for frying

Mix all the ingredients with water and make a stiff dough.
Heat oil. Take 1 portion of the dough and place it inside the sev press (or idiyappam maker with the sev plate.. it is the one with big holes on it)
Now press the idiyappam maker or sev press to drop the dough in to the oil.
Turn over once. when the vigorous bubbling stops, take it out of oil and drain it on a tissue paper.
Once it cools, store it in airtight containers.

1 comment: