5.12.10

Prawns pickle

Tastes and smells can bring back old memories. Each food bring back great memories of my childhood, youth, hostel days etc... Pickles especially bring back memories of my hostel days!!! Our hostel mess in Bangalore will have a variety of pickles on the table.. Dhanya's fish pickle, Manju's prawn pickle, Aysha's prawns chammanti podi, Anita's hyderabadi tomato pickle...the list goes on. I remember once Manju brought one big bottle of prawns pickle. She reached the hostel at 7 am from Trichur- the pickle was over by 12 noon and only two people had it... Manju and me!!!! I love any kind of pickle and if it is prawns pickle....ah! It is a love affair!!!! Today I made prawns pickle after a very long time and here is my recipe before I forget the quantity of ingredients....
 Oh yes... it is absolutely delicious... really hope it lasts till Kochu comes back from office!!!!

Prawns: 800 gm (I used two 400 gm packs)
Ginger garlic paste: 2 heaped tablespoons
Kashmiri Chilly powder: 3 heaped tablespoons
Mustard seeds: 2 tablespoons
Turmeric powder:1/2 teaspoon
Fenugreek powder: 2 teaspoons
Vinegar: 1/4 to 1/2 cup.
Salt: as required
Oil- 3/4 cup.

Devein the prawns and cook it with a little vinegar,turmeric powder,salt and water(don't use too much water).
Drain and keep aside.
Now heat the 3/4 cup oil and fry the cooked prawns. Take it out from oil and keep aside.
In the same oil, splutter mustard, add ginger garlic, chilly powder, turmeric powder, fenugreek powder and mix well. (simmer while you do this or else the masala will burn or if necessary turn off the stove and turn on again for the next step)
Add half a cup of boiled water and then add the fried prawns and mix well. Add salt according to your taste and mix in the rest of the vinegar. Switch off the stove and let it cool completely before transfering to a pickle jar.

                                                       

2 comments:

  1. love this pickle will surely try !
    Spice & Rice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did it!. Worked!!!
    I am switching from my other kerala recipe site to yours!
    Tessy

    ReplyDelete