5.2.12

Ceylon Chicken Egg Parotta/Mughalai Parotta

Theres a deep connection between food and our memories of a place. One of the first things that come to my mind when I think of Chennai food is Ponnuswamy Biriyani, and the next in line is Ceylon chicken Egg parotta from Marina park in Foreshore Estate.

 When in Chennai, we usually order in this Mughalai parotta from that restaurant and just one is enough for an absolutely delicious and filling dinner.

After coming to Cairo, I started making this on my own and I usually make it with Wheat flour (like chappati and egg filling). Yesterday, after a long time I made it with maida just like how we used to have back in Chennai and oooolalala it really warmed our souls as well as satisfied our appetite!!!

Step 1
Chicken: 600 gms
Pepper: 3/4 tbsp
Salt: as required 
Pressure cook this for 5 whistles on high flame.
When it cools, shred the chicken.

Step 2:
For the Parotta

Maida: 4 cups
Milk: 1 cup
Water: 1 cup or as required to make a dough (after the milk is added)
Sugar: 1/2 tbsp
Salt: as required
Oil: 2 tbsp

Mix the salt and sugar in the flour.
Add milk to it and then required water to make a smooth dough
(I worked my stand mixie on speed 2 for 8 to 10 minutes)
Now take the dough out and add the 2 tbsp oil to it and knead again for a few seconds.
Keep this in a greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth.
Keep this aside for one hour or more. (I keep for 2 to 3 hours)
If I make it with wheat flour, I keep only for half an hour or even lesser.

Step 3
For the Chicken Keema

Onion: 2 medium diced
Ginger Minced: 1 tsp
Garlic Minced: 1 tsp
Green Chillies: 2 chopped
Red Chilly Powder: 2 level tsp
Turmeric Powder: a pinch
Fennel Powder: 1 tsp
Garam Masala or Meat Masala: 1/4 tsp
Oil and Salt: as required

Heat oil in a pan and saute the onions, ginger and garlic till the onions are translucent
Now add all the powders and saute on low flame.
Add the cooked and shredded chicken, salt and mix everything properly.
Do a taste test and add salt if needed.
Let it cool

Step 4
Eggs: 6
Whisk the eggs properly, add salt  and mix in the chicken keema to it and keep aside

Step 5

Now take the dough and make 10 equal balls out of it.
Roll out each ball as thinly as possible.
Heat the tawa and place the rolled out disc and let it just cook (say about 20 to 30 secs)
Turn it over and place 2 tbsp of the egg keema mix in the middle.
Immediately fold from al the four sides so that the egg keema mix is properly closed and you have a square shaped parotta.
Cook on medium heat by sprinkling oil.
When it is brown and the parotta starts puffing up, take off heat.
(Puffing up is the sign that the egg inside is cooked)
Serve warm with any side dish or just with tomato sauce.



8 comments:

  1. luks yummy sojo..i must admit u r a really great cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have heard so much about ceylon parotta! but have never had the opportunity to actually try it... this really looks filling and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried this before but that looks yummy! Some spices that you used are similar to that of Indian cooking :) Love it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all I want to say wonderful blog! I had a quick question which I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts prior to writing. I have had a tough time clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts out there. I truly do enjoy writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are usually wasted just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or tips? Kudos!
    My site - diets that work fast for women

    ReplyDelete