4.2.09

Lime pickle

This is for my little nunu… I don’t know if you will grow up to like pickle… but ur grand mom and great grand mom used to make so much of pickles and store it for a year. Every1 in my side of ur family loves it. I used to take it to hostel too. Now, I have also started making pickles and storing them. This is one of my favourite recipes for lime pickle. I got this 2 years back after making 5 STD calls… phew!!! Okay, I will tell u what happened… sofy mummy once came to stay with ammachy and she had a bottle of lime pickle that tasted simply out of the world. I asked her for the recipe and she said her sister’s mother- in- law gave it to her. So I took her sister’s number from her but I never got her through for one whole year…it was some other house and someone else taking the call all the time. Finally I did some permutation and combinations with the number and finally one fine day I got her sister. She promised she would get the recipe from her mother in law. And later I got it from her and believe me; the smell of the pickle is enough to have a plate full of rice.




Ingredients:
Lime: 25 nos
Kanthari: 100 gms
Garlic: 50 gms
Ginger: 50 gms
Curry leaves: a bunch
Asafetida: 3 tablespoon
Fenugreek: 2 teaspoons

Method:
Add a little turmeric to a pot of water and boil the lime in it. When the lemons start to break, drain the water and when it cools, cut each lime into 4 pieces. Fry the kantahri, garlic and ginger separately and keep aside. Heat oil in a kadai, splutter mustard, and add 100 Gms chilly powder. Mix it properly with the oil for about half a minute. Now add the fried ginger, garlic, kanthari, asafoetida and fenugreek. Mix it properly and then add the lime pieces and salt. Mamma doesn’t know how much salt to put. I keep tasting to see if it is enough. If it is not, I keep on adding till am satisfied… Now add a cup of vinegar. Mix properly and boil. Tasty lime pickle for u!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment