18.6.15

Medovik / Russian 8 Layer Honey Cake


This is another recipe I got through a whatsapp chat. My dear friend, Deena Baby Mathews sent me the recipe and it took me 3 days to convince myself that baking a cake and for that matter, having a biiiiig slice is not going to tighten my pants. But the problem is not that. I baked and O my God, I knew it wasnt going to be one slice. Well, already 3 slices in my tummy and believe me when I say, I might not even consider sharing this with anyone....that good it is.

So, What is Medovik. I googled and found this:

From Wikipedia: The medovik  is a sweet spread to Russia and countries of the former Soviet Union , whose main ingredients are honey and condensed milk. It is a dessert that requires a long preparation and is made ​​of layers of biscuit with cream filling and covered with nuts. 

Ok, when you go through the recipe, you will find that there is no condensed milk mentioned.... Well Dulce de lechi is made by heating condensed milk. Since I didnt get a can of that, I made it by caramelizing sugar and adding cream.....same effect!!!!

For layers

All purpose flour - 500g
Sugar - 200g
Eggs - 3
Unsalted butter - 8 tbsp/1 Stick
Honey = 2 tbsp
Baking soda - 1 1/2 tsp

For cream

Milk - 2 cups
Egg - 3
Corn Starch - 2 tbsp
Milk caramel or dulce de lechi - 8 oz (I made caramel cream since I didnt get Dulce De Leche here)
Honey - 2 tbsp
Butter - 1 stick @ room temperature

Method

Pre heat oven to 180C
Whisk eggs, set aside
Place the sugar butter honey in a heat proof bowl and set over simmering water
Melt stirring occasionally
Add eggs & mix until pale color.
Add baking soda & cook for 1 more min. The mixture should be fluffy & double the size

Transfer the egg-butter mixture from heat and add flour. Mix in low speed until combined, about 2 min. The dough should be warm soft and little sticky. But do not add more flour.
Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface and press together gently.
Knead dough few times and form into a ball.


Divide dough into 8 equal parts
Shape each into a ball. Cover 7 so as to not lose moisture and roll out the remaining ball into a thin circle, similar to our chapati.
Make sure all the balls are rolled out in the same size & thickness as it needs to be stacked on top of each other
The base of a cake tin can be used for cutting out equal size circles.
I used a round plate and a pizza cutter.
Prick the dough in several places and bake each for 3 min to make 8 perfect cake layers



To make Custard cream

Heat 1 1/2 cup milk but do not boil
In a small bowl whisk the remaining 1/2 cup milk with eggs & corn starch till smooth. 
Slowly whisk the egg mixture into the warm milk, bring it to simmer over moderate heat, whisking constantly until very thick  - 2 minutes
Make sure you dont stop whisking, or else you will get scrambled eggs.
Let it cool.

To make Caramel Cream

Sugar: 2 cups
Water" 2 tbsp
Butter: 1 tbsp
Salt: a pinch
Fresh Cream: 2 cups
Heat Sugar, salt and water on low heat till it is golden brown in colour. Resist your temptation to stir the syrup...Please do not meddle with it but you can swirl the pan
When it is golden brown, add butter, wait for it to melt.
 turn off the stove and add the fresh cream and mix well.
Let it cool completely.


To assemble cake
Mix the caramel cream, Custard cream, honey and butter. Whisk properly.
Top each cake layer with about 1/2 cup cream and spread it around evenly.
Repeat with all cake layers
As each layer is placed over each other some frosting will come out of the side, spread it evenly over the sides
Leave in fridge for 8 hours or over night







































































2 comments:

  1. A labour of love. Now go and burn those calories! Love u soj!

    ReplyDelete