19.6.11

Thattai Muruk

Whenever I bite into a Thattai, I go back to my Coimbatore days. There was a snack shop very close to where we lived and most evenings, I used to buy Thattai from there. It was so tasty and addictive and I used to love having it with my evening tea. This is how I make rice flour thattai and within minutes of making, it will be all over, so Ive never had the chance to store it in airtight containers.

Rice Flour: 2 cups
Urud Dal flour: 5 level tbsp
Coconut grated: 1/2 cup
Melted Ghee: 5 tbsp
Sesame seeds: 1 tbsp
Channa Dal/Kadalaparippu/Bengal gram: 4 level tbsp
Asafoetida: 1/4 tsp
Salt: as required

Water: to make the dough
Oil: for deep frying

To make Urud Dal flour:
Dry roast Urud dal on medium heat without burning it. Once cooled, powder it properly in your dry grinder.

Wash the Channal Dal properly and soak it in water for half to one hour.
When it is soft, take it off the water and mix in all the other ingredients.
Now add a little water and make a stiff dough
Make small balls from the dough and flatten it on your palm or on a plastic sheet.

Heat oil and fry the flattened dough on medium heat till golden brown.

Flip and fry the other side too.
Drain it on a tissue paper and have it with your evening tea.
If you feel it will last for more than a day, then you have to definitely store it in an airtight container.

5 comments:

  1. perfect with my evening masala chai..nice presentation dear..:P
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thattais are my fav, i dont bother to munch some rite now..crispy beauties tempts me a lot..

    ReplyDelete
  3. wat a fantastic recipe..thanks dear for sharing..;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this recipe a lot.. yours looks perfect !!
    Gr8 job :)
    Indian Cuisine

    ReplyDelete