30.5.11

Murungikka (Drumstick) Theeyal

Been almost a month since I blogged, the reason being my complete settings changed-thanks to my daughter. Finally when I corrected it, Blogspot wasnt accepting my password!!! Thats why I couldnt visit any of your sites and check out your recipes. Sorry again!!!

Iam beaming from my left big ear to my right big ear!!! My hubby's cousin's husband visited us from Kuwait day before yesterday and guess what!!!!!!!! He brought fresh coconut and drumstick for us. I was controlling myself from jumping with joy when he was here. You guys have no idea how much I was craving for some theeyal, Aviyal, thoran with fresh coconut, Fish made with fresh coconut paste...well, I can write an essay on what all I was craving for... Also, DRUMSTICK!!! very very thoughtful of my hubby's cousin, Neetha!! Really!! More than a year since Ive had drumstick and yesterday I made Murungikka (drumstick) theeyal and Murungikka Aviyal and I also made rice with Matta rice (you should understand that my matta rice is so precious... I have only 1 kilo left with me and I use it only for Kanji (Rice gruel) once in a while. Also, I fried pappads (well, thats also very very precious coz only 2 packets left from what I brought from India and pappads also we fry only when I make Kanji!!!) So now you get the picture, right!!! It was a feast last night...everything on the table were precious!!!! Sadly, we don't get coconut oil, button onion and curry leaves here...so my theeyal is without these three... but I will include it in the recipe, so that it becomes easier for first timers.

For those of you who have not read my earlier posts...well I live in Cairo and we don't get Indian grocery here... From mustard to Toor dal to raw rice to urud dal to maggi noodles to papad to matta rice to...you name it!!! we have to bring it from India!!!!



Drumstick: 2 slit and cut
Button onion: a handful
Green Chillies: 3 slit
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder: 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder: 1 heaped tsp
Tamarind: lime sized

To Roast and grind
Coconut grated: 3/4 cup
Dried Red chilly: 2
Ginger chopped: 1/2 inch

To temper
Coconut oil: 2 tsp
Mustard: 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves: 1 sprig

Dry roast the grated coconut, dried red chillies and ginger over a low flame till the coconut becomes brown making sure it doesn't burn.
When it cools, grind to a very smooth paste. Oil will ooze out of the coconut, so no need to add water, but if it is absolutely necessary add 1 or 2 tbsp water.
Heat Oil in a kadai and saute the onions and green chillies for 2 minutes on low flame.
Now add the slit and cut drumstick and saute again for 2 minutes.
Add the chilly powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder and saute till the raw smell is gone.
Pour a cup of water and let the drumstick get cooked.
Now add the tamarind water and let it come to a boil.
Add the coconut paste and when it boils along the edges, take off fire.
Splutter mustard, curry leaves in coconut oil and pour it over the Theeyal.


9 comments:

  1. Slurp,mouthwatering fingerlicking theeyal..delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy.......nd happy that u enjoyed it........nd lulu hypermarket is going to come in egypt know???????//then u will get all this....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha... you are back... N theeyal... My favorite too... enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theeyal is my favorite and urs looks so perfect to be had with white rice...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh, that's why you've been missing. Poor you! Muringa theeyal is my hubby's favorite curry -- serve it with matta and he's a one happy husband :) It must be really challenging to cook without our naadan ingredients, elle? We are lucky that way...Gulf is kinda home away from home :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg, drool-worthy curry,simply inviting...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So wonderful and tempting theeyal !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. delicious...wanna have with some piping hot rice!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious
    I am feeling hungry............

    ReplyDelete