17.5.12

Mango Thokku Pickle

This is my hubby's favourite pickle and which I "had" never bothered to like before marriage. I always have this soft corner for kadumanga and kanni manga pickle. Well, Mom (Mil) makes thokku pickle often so I didnt have to bother much about learning how to make this. But in 2006, there was an over abundance of mangoes in Moms garden that we had a store room full of mangoes (raw, ripe, overripe).So that was the year I learnt to make jams, juice, preserves and also all kinds of mango pickle. I got a big sack for myself to take home. So after eating ripe ones and making mango shakes and making mango icecreams and making mango yoghurts and making jams, halwas, juice with the ripe ones and Kadumanga with some of the raw ones, I still had 20 big mangoes left!!! So what did I do, I called my 1st sis in law and 3rd sis in law home and we 3 made it together(well, they made it while I religiously jotted down the recipe step by step). So this recipe is from then - how we made with 20 mangoes. (O by the way it lasted me 2 years even after distributing to many friends)

Mango: 20 medium
Kashmiri Chilly Powder 200 gm
Mustard; 100 gm
Ginger Garlic: 300 gm
Fenu greek powder" 100 gm
Asafoetida: 1/2 tin
Salt; 1/4 kg
Gingelly Oil: 600 ml
Curry Leaves: a handful


Slice the mango very very thin. You can use your food processor
Heat Oil. Splutter Mustard and throw in the curry leaves.
Add ginger garlic paste and when the raw smell is gone, turn off the stove.
Allow it to cool.
Add chilly powder, fenugreek powder, salt and the thinly sliced mango
Mix everything properly and keep aside for two days.
Now its ready to be consumed. Store it in airtight containers.


6 comments:

  1. this is my fav too. Ur pickle looks mouth-watering...drooling here
    http://lavanyasrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slurp,fingerlicking thokku..salivating here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tempting & finger licking one,a new kind to me..But loved it..And the platter is cute too!!

    Join me(Erivum Puliyum)
    in the following ongoing events-
    Show me Your HITS -Iron Rich Foods
    EP Series-Ginger or Pepper Corns

    ReplyDelete
  4. this my hubbys fav too....spicy n delicious pickle,....thnx for sharing !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this mango pickle, so well prepared. Feels like to dig in now, lovely container too Sojo :-)

    ReplyDelete