3.3.12

Baked Medu Vada/Uzhunnu Vada/Urad Dal Vada


Ive soaked Urad dal today to make Medu Vadas  in the evening. Well, today I will be making the fried version and suddenly I remembered I have the baked version somewhere in my draft. The pics are not perfect coz I wasnt planning to blog it (psst psst, I took these pics on my mobile fone). Well, you cannot compare the baked version to the fried one. The fried one tastes better any time but this DOES come close plus the added benefit of guilt free snacking- coz u must be knowing that the fried medu vadas absorbs a LOT of oil. And in case, you want to take a look at the Fried version, here is the recipe. But still, I have to tell you when I baked it last time, it was over in 15 minutes..My kids absolutely loved it. So maybe they didnt realize it was baked...or maybe didnt mind the fact that it was baked.. :) whatever...!!!!

Urud Dal: 2 cups
Shallots Chopped: a handful (8-10)
Ginger: 1 tsp minced
Green Chillies: 2 chopped
Pepper: 5 crushed
Curry leaves: 1 sprig
Salt: as needed
Oil: 3 tbsp
Soda Bi carbonate: 1 tsp
Baking Powder: 1 tsp

Soak the Urud Dal in water for 5-6  hours.
Grind it without adding water.
Preheat oven to 300C or the maximum temp on your Oven
Pulse the shallots, ginger, curryleaves, pepper and green chillies just once and add to the urud dal batter.
Add required salt and mix well.
Add the oil, baking powder and soda Bi-Carbonate and mix it well, try beating it to get the dough aerated well.
Coat your baking tin with non stick spray
Wet your palms, scoop a ball from the batter, flatten it and make a hole in the centre.
Place it on the tray, 1 inch apart
Cook till done. (it took around 20 minutes in my oven but oven temperatures vary, so keep an eye
Serve warm.





14 comments:

  1. Very innovative idea, we will not feel guilty eating fried ones... good for dahi wadas too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. better baked than fried. but I'm happy with both;) Looks delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just now, soaked some urad dal for vadas, I'll try at least a part of it using your baking method, nice one Sojo..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. This sounds so healthy, I was wondering if instead of making it completely oil free, if we mix a little oil in the batter and then bake it, it might taste even better. What do you think about my suggestion? Do give your inputs, as I would love to try the baked version.

    FOODELICIOUS

    MARCH EVENT, ‘ONLY’- SOUTH INDIAN & COOKBOOK GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pari, Ive added 3 tbsp oil to the batter before baking. Yes, It might taste better if more oil is added, Iam sure.

      Delete
  5. Very lovely version,guilt free truly!!

    Please contribute your entries (old or new )EP Series-Cilantro /Cumin Event

    Erivum Puliyum

    ReplyDelete
  6. looking really nice and yumm too.book marked........Maha
    awesoem recipe.loved it..........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect for frequent consumption.Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made the vadas in the traditional way and was looking at other options. Very interesting recipe. As Pari mentioned, maybe oiling the batter and greasing the tray might yield a different taste?

    ReplyDelete