11.3.12

CheruPayar Payasam N Parippu Pradhaman


CheruPayar Payasam

Parippu Pradhaman



Yet another Classic dessert and I love this like crazy. This is another one of my mom's speciality and this is how she makes it. I was going to key in the Parippu Pradhaman recipe when I suddenly remembered I had the green gram payasam pictures somewhere in my draft, so finally I thought I will do it in one post coz  its made the same way, and ofcourse both are the same, just that one is the split and skinless version of the whole... :)


Split Green Gram/Moong Dal/CheruPayar Parippu: 1 cup (250 ml cup)
For Cherupayar Payasam, use Whole Green gram/Cherupayar instead of the dal
Water: 3 cups
Jaggerry: 400 gm
Water: 1 cup
Ghee: 2 tbsp
Thin Coconut milk: 3 cups
Semi Thick Coconut milk: 2 cups
Thick Coconut Milk: 1 cup
Cardamom Powder: 1 tsp

To Garnish
Cashewnuts: 10
Ghee: 1 tbsp

Dry roast the Moong dal for a few minutes (about 4-5 minutes) on medium flame till it gets a shade darker.
Let it cool, wash properly.
In case of Green gram/Cherupayar, wash properly and cook till just done.
Add the washed dal, 2.5 cups of water and cook on high heat for 2 whistles.
(if you want the dal to be mashed properly, cook for 2 more whistles, but I like it just cooked so that I can see it as it is in the Payasam.. but make sure it is cooked.. :0)
Now Boil the jaggerry and 1 cup water till it is melted properly.
Once cool, strain.
Now in a thick bottomed vessel, mix the cooked dal/green gram and the melted jaggerry and cook till it almost dries up like in the picture below.
At this point, add 2 tbsp ghee and mix properly.




Now add the thin coconut milk to it and let it come to a boil and reduce a little.
Add the semi thick coconut milk and let it boil for a few minutes
Add the thick coconut milk, cardamom powder and when it boils, take from fire.
In a kadai, heat 1 tbsp ghee and fry the cashewnuts till slightly brown.
Pour this over the prepared Payasam.
Serve it warm or cold.






9 comments:

  1. Love this... Now I need a bowl of that :(... Yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this payasam, jaggery gives such a nice taste..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy yumm Sojo. My fav payasams they are, looks delicious n tempting

    ReplyDelete
  4. slurp! am drooling here.. can i have a cup? :)btw love ur recipes.. following u..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slurp. I love pradaman with jackfruit and pazha. Love your version too. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks yummy..you have wonderful blog..happy to follow u dear..do visit my space too in your free time!! :)
    Spicy-Aroma

    ReplyDelete