15.12.11

Pepper Sev



Christmas is round the corner and Iam permanently in the kitchen from the past few days. I already baked cakes, made lots of snacks (which unfortunately is getting over and I seriously doubt if any of it will last till Christmas). Most of what I made is sweets- Cakes, Nankhatai, Diamond cuts, Butter Murukku (tho this one is not sweet, its not spicy either!!!). So while I was having my Garam Chai yesterday evening, I suddenly craved for something spicy which took me back to my Chennai days. There was a sweet and snack shop very near to where I lived. The Pepper Sev they sell are just so perfect for a cold evening to go with your masala Chai. aaa... In a minute, I was up from the chair and in the kitchen. So this is how I made it and my hubby gave me full marks!!!!! :)))
(Ive posted the normal sev recipe before, but this one is really spicy and tastes different and better coz of the rice flour and Urad dal flour)


Besan/Bengal Gram Flour: 1.5 cups
Rice Flour: 3/4 cup
Urad Dal Flour: 3 tbsp
Pepper Coarsely ground: 1.25 tbsp
Butter: 2 tbsp
Asafoetida: 1/4 tsp
Garlic Powder: 3/4 tbsp
Water: enough to make a dough
Salt: as required
Oil: to deep fry

Let the butter come to room temperature.
Mix all the ingredients and make a smooth dough.
Heat oil in a kadai.
Fit the Idiyappam maker with the plate that has big holes on it
(not the plate with which we make Idiyappam, but the bigger one)
Press the dough out of the mould directly into the oil.
Make sure the flame is medium.
Turn over once.
Fry till brown and crisp (the vigorous bubbling will stop when it is done.)
Drain on an absorbant paper.
Once cool, store it in airtight container.

5 comments: