4.10.11

Ela Ada



I just cant remember the number of times I craved for this when I was carrying my son. But I couldnt make it coz I was bed ridden and was not even allowed to go to toilet...forget the Kitchen!!!!!

and for the curious ones out there, yes, I got to eat it coz I explained to my maid how it is made.. she had never eaten it in her life, but went to make it like how I told her and when she brought it, WOW... it was excellent!!!!!

So, heres the recipe:


In a pan over medium heat, melt 200 gm jaggerry with a little water. (or you can use sugarcane molasses syrup)

when its melted, strain to get rid of the impurities and again back to the stove it goes. Boil again for a minute or two and then add 1 cup grated coconut and stir on medium low heat for a minute.
 Turn off the stove and keep this filling aside


Take 1.5 cups roasted Rice flour, add required salt and then to it, add boiling water to make a smooth dough. Use a spoon to mix and when you feel you can handle the heat, knead with your hands.
(Rice flour is roasted in a thick bottomed pan on medium heat. Keep stirring and when it slightly becomes off white and emanates an aroma, take off the stove making sure not to burn it)

Make 6-7 balls out of the dough


Take a banana leaf, and place one ball on it and slowly flatten it with your fingers. you can dip your fingers in water so that the dough will not stick to your hand.

Spread the jaggerry coconut filling on it and fold the leaf from one side to the other (the ada will be sealed when we do that) and again fold the leaf from the other two sides.

Place these in a steamer/idly cooker with enough water and cook till done (about 15 minutes)


Once done, serve warm as breakfast or as a 4'o' clock snack.




3 comments: