22.2.11

Jangiri

Laddoos and Jangiris are my favourite sweets. Whenever I make Jangiris, I remember my 17th birthday. I was in Std 12 and ususally everyone brings laddoos, pastries or chocolates to school to celebrate their birthday.. I was the only one who distributed Jangiris.... but that was ordered from a bakery... Those days I never used to get into the kitchen!!!!!


Urud Dal: 1 cup
Raw rice: 2 tbsp
Kesari colour: 1/2 tsp
Salt: 1/4 tsp
Oil: 2 cups
Water: 1/5 cup

For Sugar Syrup:
Sugar: 2 cups
Water: 1 cup
Cardamom Powder: 1/2 tsp
Kesari Colour: a pinch.

Soak the Urud dal and raw rice for 2 to 3 hours.
Grind to a very smooth batter by adding 1/5 cup water. The batter should be thick
Add the salt and the colour and work the mixie for half a minute- so that it is properly mixed.
Take a thick plastic bag and make a hole.
(I use the stick that comes with the puttu mould, Show it directly on the flame and poke the plastic bag)
Make the sugar syrup by boiling the water and sugar.
Add the cardamom powder and the Kesari colour and boil till one thread consistency is reached. Keep it on the stove itself so that it remains hot.
what I do is- when it reaches half thread consistency( when you touch the syrup with your thumb and forefinger and pull apart, it forms a thread but breaks) I simmer and let it cook on low heat while I make the jangiris.
Heat the oil.
Fill the plastic bag with the batter, press tightly on top of the oil and squeeze out the batter to make spiral shape.
Turn it over and when crisp, take out and drain and immediately transfer it into the hot sugar syrup.
The Jangiris will absorb the syrup. Take it out of the syrup and serve hot or at room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment